01 July 2011

Concert de Missionnaires

I run into the St Merri ward building in heels and skirt straight from the RER B--the concert started 40 minutes ago but thankfully as there are still several numbers left--I haven't missed it all yet. The missionary on the piano waves me up to the front of the room... are you serious? I have to perform now? but then they wave me in the back room of performers... who is there but Christian Frandsen (abe's best friend), an Elder now down in Chartres. Can you go on next? sure! (haven't touched a piano yet today. going with old favorites)

Donc, je vais commencer avec Debussy, Reflets dans l'eau de ses Images I et puis je vais jouer le Prelude de Bach en Sol mineur transcrit par Siloti

It was a lot of fun. I felt right at home, doing what I love to do for people I love. Most missionaries made connections with me whether their companions knew me, they'd seen a concert, or they see my story on the 'Missionnaires' video. I was impressed with Elder Frandsen, Elder Dick, & Sister Pearce's singing, of course Elder Rakotondrainibe going crazy on the piano (we played together once before I left) as well as a chinese recent convert on the flute who studies at the Ecole Normale de Musique here (picture with S. Pearce and Elder Rakotondrainibe). The room was almost full, the mission leader bore his testimony to finish... it was a success.

The other highlight was EAMA Orientation. I knew that Ryan from BYU was doing the piano program, and that there might be another flutist or two, but I jumped when Joseph walked in the room for composition! So I'm in good company. I met the other 6 conductors here and Dr. Mark Shapiro who will be working with us. You might have heard of his Cantori New York as well as many operas, orchestras, and other choruses he's conducted. I was giddy to meet him. nervous to conduct for him. and a little scared for placement exams tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jacq said...

you are already in France????

I do miss you.

mariah christine said...

sure am :) love you Jacque. saying hi to Paris for you