17 July 2011

Metamorphoses of Conducting

Tiffany (Princeton) is squatting on the ground, weighing down my ankles to ground me. Nicholas (London) is standing at my left, getting hit in the arm every down beat, and Dr. Shapiro (NY) is keeping my back straight and growling at me every other bar—I am in Charge! RAAA. Cave woman! POWER! RAAA! KILL the baby seal with your downbeat!

I’m starting to develop this crazy rage in my eyes (suitable for this music), but when Audrey (Harvard) giggles at my 'douceur' being transformed into a feline I cannot keep a straight face. Last time, I played a porcelain doll hearing beautiful music while conducting the sweetest 4 beat pattern you'd ever seen, and now, I am a lioness, every muscle rippling as she prowls through her kingdom.

When the first theme comes back with full orchestration, I stretch my arms as far as they go (trying to stay grounded) and bore holes into my orchestra in Salle Debussy.

My orchestra. meaning two pianos, eight hands (at least) and the leftover voices solfeging the viola, bassoon or horn parts. Fixed do of course.

boy, is this fun. and boy, do I have a lot of work to do as a conductor.

oh, and ps. one of the three grand pianos in Salle d'Indy was Debussy's.

3 comments:

JenLee said...

Gah! I love you!!

Sunshine said...

wow.

Peter said...

I've been telling you for years you need to be more violent! Good ryiah!