28 August 2011

San Francisco

Concert Series at the Presidio, San Francisco Debut


Debussy:
l'Isle joyeuse
Reflets dans l'eau

Poulenc:
Napoli Suite
Barcarolle
Nocturne
Italian Caprice (intermission)

Ravel: Ondine
Chopin: Nocturne Op. 27.2
Prokofiev: Sonata #1

The clapping was enthusiastic at the end of the Prokofiev both nights, and many were standing. On Friday night, an older gentleman in the audience ran up to present me with a handful of beautiful wildflowers! So, I gave an encore:

Marciack
Île St. Louis from Impressions de Paris

This was the last piece that I studied with Monsieur Marciack in Paris. He composed two books of "Impressions de Paris" for his students to play. He cried at one of the last performances I gave while studying with him, and I wondered, 'why would someone cry to music?' Although I studied another one or two of his works with Christina Van Dohm in Antwerp, I put the books away when I moved to Wisconsin. For some reason, I packed them with me when I went off to College (not sure what I was thinking) and found them again when I was living with my Grandmother during the Spring term.

I looked through the pieces, and was reminded of many early musical memories associated with Monsieur Marciack, his handwriting, his music, his mannerisms, his laugh, his love for me... and then I played through the Île St Louis. I started to cry at the end of the first line and cried during the whole piece. It reminded me of everything that was Paris, everything that I learned musically there, every pain I had felt leaving, and every pain I had felt there. I was reminded of how many 'weird' things I did that were simply cross-culture conflicts and how much I loved Paris, Music, Monsieur Marciack, and how blessed I was to have all of those things.

After each performance, the audience greeted and congratulated me in the foyer and to my surprise, I noted accents (especially European) from the majority of the audience members. They thought that Marian Marciack might have been a famous French folk song, Schumann, a Song without Words, MacDowell or Gottschalk... he would be flattered. Others told me they felt it was my prayer. It was.

Liz Olson, my best friend from High School surprised me by attending both concerts and took me out to see her favorite spots in San Francisco, favorite roads, favorite ice cream place, and favorite real San Fransiscan restaurant. She and many other audience members asked when I would be coming back? soon in any case. If this was a 'debut,' that simply means 'beginning' (it's french, of course). So I will return. with friends. and perhaps more musical instruments. ;) see you then.

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

Marvelous. What a lucky, lucky audience. I remember that piece by Monsieur Marciack. I would love to hear it again. Love you.

JenLee said...

I wish I could have been there too! At your concerts, I mean. You are so beautiful and I can't wait to see you in 4 days!

Mom or Becky said...

i'll send you more pictures as soon we figure out how to download or as soon rick sends one to me.
xoxo mum

Amy Owens said...

Awesome! I wish I could've been there to complete the famous "blonde, brunette, and red-head" trio. Happy birthday too, beautiful girl.