17 July 2013

bicyclettes & horloges

 
Yes, those are ALL bikes.  Welcome to Berlin! It's just like when we lived in Bergen op Zoom--grandmothers in dresses with baskets full of groceries on their bicycles. But what has surprised me has been the bicycles on the S & U bahn train lines.  The combination of public and personal transportation is everywhere here!  Pretty smart if you ask me.  There was not a day when I did not wish that I had a bike to get around with.  

All in all, I was quite impressed with the public transportation.  My weekpass was under 30 Euros and I was constantly in the busses, the underground train and the overground train.  What I did forget was the hour + that it takes to get everywhere.  TIME! 


Speaking of time, the German people seem to be very organized and exact.  All of our players were early for rehearsal, and apparently if you might let them off a few minutes early one day, they would think it an insult.  As a culture generally, they do like to work.  for their allotted time.   But their arms are open wide when they want to have some fun.

My host mom mentioned that when tehy moved to Munich for three years, they brought their grandfather clock.  Clocks are also important to this culture, they are everywhere! On buildings, in stations, as decoratie works of art... and I love it.  What is it about two hands spinning that is very lovely? 

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

When I was in Europe I thought about making a clock tower coffee table book:) I think you're amazing to be able to conduct. I can hardly orchestrate 8 people. A whole orchestra sounds impossible:)

DCAja said...

https://www.tokopedia.com/zippozi/zippo-marija-tiurina-49392-white-matte-540-color-original-made-in-usa