23 March 2012

Because I Have Been Blessed

BYU Devotionals.  are wonderful.

While driving up to BYU as an incoming Freshman, my father and I discussed goals I was making for my BYU experience.  He asked me to make a goal to go to every devotional and forum of my undergraduate career.  My dad only needs hints at advice, and I am already acting on it.

As far as undergrad went, I missed one because I was out of town, and watched two on TV because of timing.  There may have been a few at which I was frantically finishing homework and not giving my wohle soul to be taught... but on the whole, much of the growth I have experienced since coming here has been spurred by devotional and forum speakers.  and they have also given me the opportunity to perform countless times.

Well 6 times so far this semester--whether it was conducting the opening hymn, singing with Singers, Womens Chorus, conducting University Chorale, or accompanying a soloist.  I'm not going to add up past semesters.

Last week, Lori Bikhazi sang my arrangement of Because I Have Been Given Much.  (It couldn't be broadcasted to the world because I don't have the copyright to the words, but you can watch the performance of my arrangement here: video)

I have performed my arrangements at devotional before, and accompanied soloists many times, but it was different this time because Lori and I have worked on this piece in our apartment countless times, refined the arrangement, the piano, the build-up, the spirit, the vocal line--and the words we feel so deeply.

Immediately following the devotional, Dean Jones (composing professor) came down from the stand to congratulate me and ask whose was the arrangement?  He passed on his compliments.

I was the most grateful recipient of his compliments-- they meant the world to me! Many others in attendance have asked me about the arrangement, and I have even received several emails asking who did the arrangement, and where they can access it.  If compliments from a real artist can be so meaningful to me, I should give them more often.

Well, this arrangement and the attention that it called for has been a catalyst for more hymn settings, and a renewed desire to polish several arrangements and sell them in book form.  So I'll finish composing this summer, practice and and it'll be on its way. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Mariah :) said...

A beautiful arrangement. :)

Sunshine said...

Ah you're amazing. I loved it. I want to watch it over and over:)

Jess said...

Those beautiful hands bless my ears once more. Definitely worthy of your Top 5. Love you Mariah!

Amy said...

I am so excited at the prospect of more arrangements from you, Mariah! You are such a talented woman. I have so much love, respect, and admiration for you.