01 January 2012

University Chorale Fall 2011


Along with teaching Sight Singing, assisting in BYU's Women's Chorus, conducting Stake Choir, singing with the SCO Renaissance Choir, accompanying and singing in BYU Singers, I teach and conduct University Chorale.  and I love it.  


1st miracle.  Lorie, in the teal and white.  I foolishly didn't order professor copies of the music that the bookstore ordered, so I went to the bookstore to buy my own copies of the music.  Well, I went to check out, and the my cashier said that she had seen so many students check out with this music and it looked so wonderful-- what was included in the packet?  I told her all about it, and that I conducted this group.  She was so interested, and for some reason, I felt like I should invite her to sing with us.   So I did.  She joined our choir and was a wonderful addition for the alto section as well as the girls around her.    She was such a positive support to me the whole semester long, I could hardly look her way without smiling.  She so enjoyed singing with us, and her joy was contagious.   

Second miracle.  Missionaries.  About a dozen students in Chorale received their mission calls this semester or are actively awaiting them to go off into the world serving the Lord.  I was so grateful that they sang with us while preparing to leave.  There are so many opportunities to testify through song in Chorale as well as on missions.  Joe, playing the reorder here, is one of those awaiting his call to serve.  He plays a dozen instruments and was so positive in his support of choir.  We sang for a devotional when Elder Callister spoke, and he brought a book to be signed by this general authority as he spoke to us.  Elder Callister willingly complied and I was so impressed by Joe's bright faith and excitement as he prepared to serve the Lord.   

One last picture from our concert, conducting Handel's The Many Rend the Skies from Alexander's Feast. We are just starting up again for another semester where I can be more organized, more musical, more enthusiastic, more planned and more faithful.


1 comment:

Sunshine said...

Oh my. It seems like yesterday I was singing in Univ. Choral. Now YOU are directing it. How wonderful.