15 July 2013

'I fear a cage...'

Sometimes I don't like zoos because all the animals have to be caged up. My favorite zoos are... Safaris. National parks. Well, ya, stuff like that.  But I felt very much the same in Berlin's Instrument Museum.  Looking at all these instruments was Not what they were made for.  It's like making a lot of delicious courses for a fancy dinner, and keeping them in a glass fridge so no one can eat them. yup, this first one is a stradivarius. 



I really enjoyed the museum because of the works of art worked into the instruments, and then i also simply love the history of the instruments (which I should know both the piano and violin's ancestors better than I do).  Most of the museum was made up of pianos ( well, variations on pianos to be more precise... Virginals, cemballos, harpsichords; violins (as well as a few variations there too), but there were also a few organs and harps.  I play all those instruments!  Maybe I only take notice of the instruments I play. Ya, there were a few random bassoon and flute ancestors now that I think of it....

I was strangely touched at a saying on three of the keyboard instruments: 'Soli Deo Gloria.'  (If you look carefully, I included it in one of the above pictures.) How many countless times have I consecrated my music to the Lord? I love this saying, engraved & painted on beautiful instruments.  It is so faithful, beautiful, sincere.  I might not want to paint on my Fazioli, but in my heart I will keep that dedication.  I will only make music to glorify God.

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

Love that.